Sunday, March 20, 2011

thurman munson - 5

Finally, we have a good action shot. Ironically, this is not my favorite Munson. The 1978 is cool, but for my money, the 1973 is one of the coolest cards out there. So that’s 4 in a row where I used the 1973 in my league. I believe that trend ends tomorrow, but I am not sure.

So here we have a great action shot, but Munson without the moustache doesn’t look right. I can’t tell who the other player is. It has been theorized elsewhere on the net that it is Chuck Dobson. I am OK with that. In any case, if not for the 1973, this would be my favorite Munson, even without the tough guy look.

Also, landscape oriented cards bug me a little. Don’t get me wrong, who does not love the 1973 Luis Alvarado, but all things being equal, I prefer the portrait card, so when thumbing through a team in my league, they are all facing the same direction. Yeah – I know. I’m a nut.

Incidentally, Thurman appears on many other people’s cards. Fran Healy in 1974, Terry Crowley in 1973 and probably a few others. I think that it is interesting.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really cool card of Munson. I agree with you though that the 1973 is better. You forgot to mention that Munson is also in the 1978 Doug Ault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah - good point. The 1978 Ault is a great card. One of the best in that set!!

    ReplyDelete